10am - 4pm
Sunday
Closed
Our Current Time
26 February 2021
04:17
Your Current Time

Announcements

We have recently been working hard migrating our websites over to a new hosting provider so if you experience any problems please let us know so we can fix them as soon as possible.

Steven Palmer

Contact Us

Why is Traffice picking up local IP address?

More

Why is Traffice picking up local IP address?

I have recently purchased Coalaweb Traffic pro and I am trying to get my head around using it.

I've searched the docs but could not find the answer to this question.

Coalaweb traffic is picking up my laptop's ip address and I'm confused. I thought it would pick up my network gateway or proxy server's IP address and easily identify my country so that the flag can display in the module on the front page as shown in the images attached.

The webserver is hosted on the internet and I'm accessing it remotely. I need to confirm or register my IP address and country flag, but with Coala picking up my local network's IP address, I'm confused how I can get this all to work??

Attachments:

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Steven Palmer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More

Why is Traffice picking up local Ip addresses and not showing my country flag

Hi Suthzy

I just had a look at your site and it displayed 1 online user with my flag displayed correctly which tells me that it has correctly recorded my address in order to correctly identify my country.

How are you accessing the website? Do you use a VPN or proxy?

I also noticed you have had 10 visitors today are they correctly being identified?

Cheers,

Hi! I'm Steve the founder and head developer of CoalaWeb design studios. I'm an avid supporter of open source projects and the GPL license.

Attachments:

More

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I am accessing the internet through a proxy and the 10 visits today mostly were from my laptop. That is the thing, I want to have my flag display when I visit but I can't so that is why I posted.

More

Ah OK so my visit (non proxy) was displayed and recorded correctly but you want your visits displayed from your location (flag) while using a proxy. The only why to determine your location is by recording a public IP address which can be difficult if you are using a Proxy which is dependent on how the system is configured.

The CoalaWeb Traffic system attempts to detect visitors who are behind proxies but this only works if the proxy is configured to display related information in the header usually contained within the X-Forwarded-For but if it isn't set up the system has no way of knowing.

Can you give me a bit more info about your proxy for example how is it setup? why are you using it?

Can you try opening up the CoalaWeb Traffic component configuration options and under the advanced tab turn off the Check For Proxies option and see if your IP is being recored correctly. This option was added in response to some strange Proxy settings I have seen in the past.

Cheers,

Hi! I'm Steve the founder and head developer of CoalaWeb design studios. I'm an avid supporter of open source projects and the GPL license.

More

Two things:

1. First, I want to leave the "Check for proxy" turned on so I get correct reporting of actual web visits. How do I manually point the local ip addresses behind the network gateway/proxy to a city and country?

2. For testing purposes, I turned off the "Check for proxy" setting as advised by you. Then I purged all my Visitor and Location data that was collected previously. I then refreshed the Geodata and tried to visit the site. It correctly showed the network proxy/gateway server's IP address which is based in Australia, but for some reason the flag of Austalia is not showing on the front page as before. It only shows the question mark (?) symbol. Why is that happening? See attached images.

Please clarify these two things.

Thanks

Attachments:

More

Hi again,

The Check For Proxies option was added to be used in cases where a Proxy is sending data in an unusual way but if you can give me some more details about what proxy service/method you are using I can do some research into how they included data.

The Who IS Online part so the system uses a separate database table and Cookies to find out and store a visitors information making it faster and less resource intensive. When you purged the visitors information using the component purge button the Cookie still remained. You can test this by searching for and removing any cwGeoData cookies.

Once I have a bit more info on your Proxy I can run some tests.

PS. Currently there isn't a way to manually assign a country and city code to an IP but I will add it to the feature request list for further investigation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

GET IN TOUCH

We will be glad to help you with any general or technical questions.