Support Hours

Facebook: Problem with IMAGE sharing

More

Hello

I just bought CoalaWeb Social Links and the problem I have is that I cannot share to Facebook the image of a K2 article

I have already studied your related article but I still cannot have a good result.

I see, checking page source code, that meta tags referring to open graph are not produced.

My website is sedpeiraia.gr and you can see various wrong sharing examples HERE

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More

Hi,

K2 has an in built Open Graph system so to stop conflicts CoalaWeb Social Links doesn't attempt to control the Open Graph tags for K2 content items. I just checked you site and for example this page has all the basic Open Graph tags being added to the page except for the image:

So Facebook is using the Open Graph tags and guessing which image to use. I also noticed that both the Meta and Open Graph descriptions are missing so it appears that K2 is expecting you to fill in the Meta description for your articles.

It seems that K2 is having a problem adding the Open Graph image tag, what version of K2 are you using?

Thanks,

Hi! I'm Steve the founder and head developer of CoalaWeb design studios. I'm an avid supporter of open source projects and the GPL license.

Attachments:

More

Thanks for the answer

K2 version is 2.9.0

More

Hi again,

I just set up K2 version 2.9.0 and made sure the K2 option Enable Facebook meta tags under the Social tab as set to Yes.

I then created an article with a title, some content text and an image under the image tab and the Open Graph tags displayed correctly.

For more info on sharing with Facebook and testing Open Graph tags I recommending reading my article Here .

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks,

PS. Now that K2 has an option to turn off their Open Graph tags I will look into adding K2 Open Graph support to CoalaWeb Social Links.

Hi! I'm Steve the founder and head developer of CoalaWeb design studios. I'm an avid supporter of open source projects and the GPL license.

Attachments:

More

Thanks for your answer

I have checked all the points you have made and are all set in accordance with them. I noticed that most of the times, in order to share in facebook the correct photo needs to close the notification dialog box and simply run it again, in other cases the page must be reloaded and the notification made.

In any case, I continue so, and I hope that I will not deal with other issues for the issue of content sharing in Facebook has been a great concern to me

More

Hi,

The first check to make sure a page is sharing the way it should is to right click the page and choose View Page Source and check the Open Graph tags are displaying. For example I just checked this page and the Open Graph image tag is displaying correctly.

Note: The only thing we can control is the display of the Open Graph tags the caching/fetching and using of the information is controlled by Facebook.

New Article
If you have the Open Graph tags displaying correctly for a New article then the first time it is shared or the next time a Facebook Bot passes that particular page it will check and store the page info. In this case as long as the correct Open Graph tags are displaying everything should share as expected.

Old Article or Updated Article
If you add Open Graph tags to an old article or if you make changes either to the content or to the Open Graph tags they may not display straight away as Facebook can stores page information for up to 24 hours. You can force Facebook to update using their Debug Tool ( More Info )

Tips ( More Info )
  • You can check what Facebook sees for a particular page by using the Facebook debug tool ( More Info )
  • Facebook stores page information for up to 24 hours so any changes you make or if you have just brought your site online can take up to 24 hours to catch up.
  • Stubborn pages, if you find the majority of your pages are displaying correctly but a particular page isn't drop by the Debug tool and try the Fetch new scrape information to force it to catch up. If everything is displaying correctly head back to your site and test your button again.

Thanks

Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Steven Palmer.

Time to create page: 0.810 seconds

GET IN TOUCH

We will be glad to help you with any general or technical questions.